Adult Mental Health First Aid Refresher course
Also available as an online course, the Adult MHFA Refresher course is a four hour update session for those who have previously qualified as a Mental Health First Aider (via the two-day course) or Mental Health Champion (via the one-day course).
This course is ideal for previously qualified Mental Health First Aiders or Mental Health First Aid Champions who want to refresh their skills and remain confident that they will be able to provide support to those who are experiencing a mental health crisis.
On this course you will
- Learn how to keep your awareness of mental health support current
- Update your knowledge of mental health and what influences it
- Practice applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan.
Programme & topics covered
The course is run over four hours with a 15 minute break.
- About mental health
- Stress and factors which influence mental health
- Mental Health Continuum and stigma
- Frame of Reference and non-judgement
- Reintroducing ALGEE
- Warning signs of mental ill health
- Depression and anxiety
- Suicide and first aid for suicidal crisis
- Psychosis and first aid for severe psychotic episodes
- More mental health issues
- Practising our MHFA skills
- Self-care, wellbeing and recovery
Courses are held at The Safety Centre in Milton Keynes, at Kent’s Hill Conference Centre in Milton Keynes, or at your own business premises for larger groups. To find out more about the venue, and facilities available, please have a look at our venues page.
For Courses held at the Kent’s Hill Conference Centre, the course fee also includes use of Kents Hill Park’s Nuffield Health run Sports and Leisure Complex on the days of the course: just let the receptionist at Swallow House know that you would like to use the complex.