The AJMH Story
Why Use AJMH Limited?
Dr A.J. Yates heads up all our training. He brings experience from a range of healthcare backgrounds. He is also supported by thousands of hours of practice providing first aid (and Mental Health First Aid) care to a wide variety of people of all ages.
His practical experience, coupled with his extensive doctoral research at the University of Westminster (investigating women’s experience of distress) makes him an authority on the impact of everyday distress (as well as diagnosable mental illnesses) on the wellbeing of those affected.
24% of women and 13% of men in England are diagnosed with depression in their lifetime.
In 2013 there were 8.2 million cases of anxiety in the UK.
As an instructor member for MHFA England and accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health, Dr Yates always applies the latest course content from MHFA England. However, being local to Milton Keynes, overheads are low and courses are affordable. Service is also at a premium, in terms of personalised care, quality venues, and level of catering.
Larger companies can make savings by hosting Mental Health First Aid courses at their own premises. For details – contact us.
Dr A.J. Yates
Expert in Physical and Mental Health First Aid
With over 15 years’ experience of teaching physical first aid, AJ is proud to also be a Mental Health First Aid instructor, accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health. He combines his knowledge and passion for the subject with his teaching expertise and extensive research experience.
- BSc in Physiotherapy – Middlesex University
- Two teaching qualifications (a Post Graduate Certificate in Education – post-compulsory education from Oxford Brookes University – and a Post Graduate Certificate of Special Study in Supporting Learning from the University of Westminster)
- An MSc in Medical Anthropology (investigating social and cultural aspects of health and illness) from Brunel University
- A PhD utilising qualitative research methods to investigate women’s lived experience of distress (and seeking help for distress) from the University of Westminster
- Whilst completing his doctoral studies, AJ presented his findings at universities across the UK including the University of Westminster, King’s College School of Nursing and Midwifery, and UCL School of Pharmacy.
- He achieved the award for the best PowerPoint presentation at the 2014 CAMSTRAND conference at The Christie NHS Foundation Trust in Manchester.
- Publications – extracts in the European Journal of Integrative Medicine.
- Dr Yates is now writing for peer-reviewed journals to spread the findings of his research further afield, and has been selected to present his findings at the 2021 European Congress for Integrative Medicine.
AJ has spent almost his entire life volunteering for various charities. He spent over forty years as a volunteer for St John Ambulance, has been a trustee for the Research Council for Complementary Medicine, and was Chair for the Archway Herbal Clinic. AJ also helped to form the first College of Medicine Student Strategy Group and was instrumental in organising their 2016 student conference: Mental Health: a 360° approach.
AJ is first aid trained and is DBS checked.
Mental Health in Milton Keynes
AJMH Limited is a private limited company, and member of the Milton Keynes Chamber of Commerce, providing Mental Health First Aid training in Milton Keynes and the surrounding areas – Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, and Hertfordshire.
Dr Yates is available to travel outside of these areas for companies that have sufficient staff for in-house training, whilst online courses are available across England – contact us for further details.